Early in Sherman's history the school system was much different than it is today. The town was divided into six school districts, each with a one-room school building, some of which were here before Sherman's incorporation in 1802. The first district school was built in the late 1700's and was located near what is now the junction of Routes 39 and 55. A new school was built in 1905, and the remains of the old building were torn down in 1934 when the new road was built.
The second district school was also built in the late 1700's and was located on what is now Edmonds Road at Route 39. Upon the closing of the school it was transformed into a private residence. The third district, known as Center School, was located on the knoll, next to today's Playhouse. It was built in 1827 and is still in use today by community organizations.
Built in the mid-1800’s, Leach Hollow School was the fourth district, and was later moved to make way for the flooding of Candlewood Lake in 1927. District five, the Greenwoods School, closed in 1924 and the students transferred to Center School and Greenwoods was later moved onto a private property. The sixth district was Coburn School, built in 1763 and closed in 1914. Students matriculated from Greenwoods to Center School. This building, on Coburn Road, is now part of a private residence.
On April 18, 1936 the town voted to consolidate the District Schools into a new grade school in the Center of Sherman. Opened in 1937 and known as The Sherman School, it was made of brick and contained three full classrooms. By 1953 the population had outgrown the building and four more classrooms and a lunch-assembly room with kitchen were added. In 1961 another four classrooms and the gymnasium were built. With increased enrollment it was necessary to build yet another addition in 1971 when a large wing was constructed to include nine classrooms, a library, an art room, and a science laboratory. This configuration suited The Sherman School quite well until January 1992 when a fourth addition gave the school three more classrooms, the front offices and the multi-purpose room. With the ever increasing enrollment of students it was only eight years until the school was out of room once again.
On March 7, 2000 the groundbreaking ceremony took place for the fifth addition and an entire renovation of the earlier wings. Our school now has 32 classrooms along with a beautiful library/media center, cafeteria, computer laboratory and art room.
With a gifted and talented program that was recognized by Cornell University, yearly winners in the Connecticut Scholastic Art Awards, and typically high standardized test scores, The Sherman School has much to offer its students. It was the first elementary school in Fairfield County to be accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. We service students in preschool through eighth grade and high school students have the opportunity to select from a variety of high schools which they may attend.
Since its incorporation in 1937, the Sherman School, which originally housed only three classrooms, is evolving into a premier institution for teaching and learning. Although exponentially larger than our initial establishment almost 80 years ago, Sherman’s still-small size allows us to work closely, to know each other intimately, and to learn and grow -- together.